Mar. 23, 2020 - The Coronavirus situation is increasingly affecting customers’ and consequently Hydro’s operations. Hydro is reducing or halting production at some sites to meet weaker ordering and call-offs from customers, while reinforcing efforts to protect people and business.
From a Hydro perspective, the impact from the Coronavirus situation is currently most visible in the automotive segment and in parts of building and construction, and most imminently in southern Europe.
Consequently, the Primary Metal business area will temporarily idle two European recycling operations, in France and in Luxembourg. The Extruded Solutions business area is reducing or temporarily closing some activities, mostly in southern Europe.
Depending on further governmental measures introduced in various countries and regions, and the situation on the demand side in various segments, Hydro will take the necessary measures to adapt to the situation, aiming to maintain operations and deliveries to customers, to the extent possible.
Hydro’s corporate emergency team continues to work closely with all business areas to monitor and coordinate contingency planning and mitigating measures across the company.
1. Bauxite & Alumina: Operations mostly running as normal. High market uncertainty. Daily follow-up with internal and external customers. Prepared to respond to market needs.
2. Energy: Operations mostly running as normal. High market uncertainty.
3. Primary Metal: Primary production operations mostly running as normal. Recycling plants in Luxembourg and France will be idled within the next few days. High market uncertainty.
4. Rolled Products: Operations mostly running as normal, but impact expected in the coming days due to customers closing production in Europe, particularly in the automotive sector.
5. Extruded Solutions: More markets affected, impacting production levels, especially in southern Europe. Reducing or halting production at some sites, due to customers halting their production.